Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Creating a font from your handwriting

A while ago I made my handwriting into a font. I've used it for scrapbook pages and for personal notes. It took a little work but it's been fun to use! My youngest daughter also made a font that I've used on some pages about her.

I used a free site: www.yourfonts.com  (I found the link at pickleberrypop)
First I made a printed version:

I wasn't 100% happy with it and I want to try to create a cursive script font. Cursive fonts are a bit harder to do because the tails on the letters need to lead on to the next letter. This is how it looks:

(The text is from the MOM song - sing it to the William Tell Overture - see here youtube. Love it!)

They provide you with a template you can print out, write your alpha on, then scan back in. You then upload the template and your font is created almost instantly. It is amazing!

Because I never do things the way they're supposed to be done, I wrote my letters on another sheet. I wrote each letter of the alphabet out between an "a" and an "e" to make sure they flowed like this:

you can see how messy I was.
Then I scanned that sheet, picked the best example of each letter, and used PhotoShop to place them on the template they provided and edited it a little.

You can also see that cheated by using PhotoShop to type a cursive font that I liked (Lucida Handwriting) onto the sheet (in blue). I used that font as a guide so I could edit my letters to make them similar in size and make similar tails. Then I hid my blue layers before saving as a jpeg to upload to the site. It sounds like a lot of work but this way it was so easy to go back and tweak a few letters to get it just right.

I'm quite happy with this! :-) It looks very much like my writing but much neater! The letters are spaced out a little more than I'd like, but it's easy to change the spacing between letters (leading) in Word and in PhotoShop CS.

And here's a page with my daughter's handwriting font on it:

 Credits here

Esther

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging community Esther. Looking forward to hearing your pearls of wisdom!! Love your banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will enjoy blogging. Esther. I have no doubt you will have lots of interesting things to tell the world. Your banner is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has been so helpful!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your printed font! Any chance you'd share it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you started blogging, Esther! I know you'll be adding lots of great tidbits to my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have nice handwriting. I made a font of my own a few years back, and it took me about four tries using various websites to get the look I wanted. Your blog rocks, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...